As a health care business owner or facility manager, you know the importance of making sure every aspect of your operation is adequately protecting patient identity information. It’s not just a smart and publicly minded idea—it’s also the law. Just as you wouldn’t talk publicly about a patient’s sensitive information, you also shouldn’t be careless with it when it comes to documentation.
You may not know that the patient privacy portion of the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) applies to copying machines as well. Whether you’re buying or investing in copier rental in Atlanta, GA, you want to make sure that these vital business tools, as well as the policies and procedures that go along with them, are fully compliant. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- Access restrictions: Whenever possible, make sure that only authorized users can access the copying machines. A minimum step would be to restrict access to employees only.
- Incorporate copiers into HIPAA compliance strategy: Whenever you’re planning on informing staff about being HIPAA compliant, it’s a smart idea to incorporate every piece of equipment that includes a hard drive. This will ensure that employees treat people’s information with the utmost care.
- Enhancing hard drive security: You’re putting your operation at risk when you don’t handle information properly. It’s critical to delete all relevant patient information at the proper time. Failure to do so could result in hefty fines and lawsuits. If you’re renting a copier, for example, make sure the hard drive is wiped clean before returning it.
- Stay with the copier: Staff should always be sure to be next to the copier when handling patient information. Leaving the documents behind on the copier puts them in jeopardy of being stolen and used improperly.
- Authentication: It’s important that the device requires users to be authenticated. This can be via a password, biometrics or a swipe card. Users should also always log out to ensure that another person doesn’t use their login info.
- Encrypting data: Every device in the office with a hard drive should include an encryption algorithm. This is just another step toward making it more difficult for outsiders to access sensitive patient information.
When you need copier rental in Atlanta, GA, you want an option that’s convenient while not sacrificing quality. Click Copiers is the clear choice because we provide simple and hassle-free services for copiers and printers that our customers love. Our number one priority is to remove the frustration from finding the commercial equipment you need. That’s why we offer a wide range of services as alternatives to purchasing equipment, including month-to-month leases for copiers, laser printers and much more.
We always provide a high level of service and maintenance for every machine. At Click Copiers, we know reliable copying and printing services are essential to your operations. That’s why we have developed affordable leasing options paired with incredible service. Find out how we can provide your business with invaluable assistance by giving us a call today and asking for a free quote.
Categorised in: Copier Rentals
This post was written by Writer